Sunday, June 3, 2012

Ukigumo

Ukigumo leafing out (Spring 2012)
Ukigumo(floating cloud maple) as pictured above, is a variegated Japanese maple. This particular tree is growing in partial shade and is around 12 years old. Its been in ground since 2006. I prune it annually to keep it around 6 to 7 ft tall. Its around 4 ft wide. I purchased this as a two (or 3) year graft at Hardy Plant sale at Hillsboro, OR in spring 2002 for $20. It was leafing out and it looked good. I moved this to PA in 2004 by shipping it bare root from OR where I had already planted this in ground. Once its established, it has very good growth rate (between 1 to 2 ft/year; I never fertilize maples) and I prune it heavily as needed (spring and summer). 

Overall, I found this tree to be kind of disappointing after early spring. I always think of chopping it down after all of leaves revert to dull green in couple of weeks after opening. I work in New York City and I have noticed this tree(15-20 years old, in shade) in some homes there. I observed same thing: leaves were all dull light green with a very small number of leaves showing variegation. This year I noticed that around 50% of leaves are variegated even after 6 weeks. I have read some accounts on the net that sometimes it takes years for leaves to stay variegated thru the season. Besides leaves, this tree has good bark as well as shown above.

I have seen this tree as listed as dwarf(meaning height is 8 ft or less) which I have found to be not true. Specimens I have seen are larger, easily 12-14 ft or more. If I don't prune, this tree will be 10ft easily. At the very least, this is a semi-dwarf Acer Palmatum.

Ukigumo, night shot (early spring 2012)
I planted an Inaba Shidare next to it, in case I decide to remove this tree(which I really doubt), I will have something to fill the void. Even if I dont remove it, they will look fine together with Inaba Shidare adding interest.

Inaba Shidare and Ukigumo(spring 2012)

No comments:

Post a Comment