Friday, May 11, 2012

Oshio Beni

Japanese Maple(Acer palmatum), Oshio Beni in spring 2012.
This one is around 12 years old, around 8ft tall/wide and very lightly pruned. It's growing in full sun in humid zone 6b. After mid summer the leaves do turn bronze but I think thats due to the nature of the tree and not the fact that its in full sun. If I had to plant again, I may go up to 4-5 hour sun as opposed to all day.

I bought this in 2006 in a 7(or 10?)G container from Lowes(shown below) for $20 as someone had returned it after digging it up and the root system was disturbed. I have transplanted relatively large maples (6-7 ft) after 1-2 year in ground without issues and this didn't look bad. I planted it in ground in Sept 2006. Shots from previous years showing yearly growth:

Oshio Beni (2006), note the missing root system
Oshio Beni (Spring 2007)



Oshio Beni (Spring 2008)

Oshio Beni (early spring 2009), leafing out
Oshio Beni (spring 2010)
Oshio Beni (Summer 2011)

1 comment:

  1. Beautiful tree! Appreciate the pics each year showing its growth, thanks for posting!

    ReplyDelete