Saturday, May 26, 2012

Ao Kanzashi

Ao Kanzashi (Spring 2012)
Ao Kanzashi(pictured above) is 11 years old and is a small leaf upright slightly variegated maple. It tends to have a vase shape, especially in the formative years (look at 2009, 2010 pictures below) and is now becoming rounder(2011, 2012 pics). This was in a small pot till 2006. I bought it as a one year graft in a 4" pot ($7) in Spring 2002 from Hardy Plant sale in Hillsboro, OR. It moved with me to PA in 2004.

This gets fair bit of sun(full afternoon sun). It leafs out after Bloodgood/Sangu Kaku and other maples that I have(but not before Beni Schinchihenge). It therefore avoids frost little bit but this year, it did get mildly hit by frost as did other maples. It grows slowly as it did nothing in the pot for few years. After being in the ground for couple of years, it did well from growth perspective. Although now I hardly see any growth after seeing 8-10 inches per year for few years. Its current size is around 5 x 5 feet. When the tree was younger (perhaps till 3-4 years ago), I did notice some of the leaves(entire branch) were of bigger size than the rest of tree as if these leaves came from the root under-stock.  I did remove these branches immediately. However for last 3-4 years, I hardly see the big leaves. All leaves are small and tree gives kind of a bonsai look while in ground. I have hardly pruned this one. 

I do see the leaves get some mildew but it doesn't impact its look. If I had to do it again, I would plant this in part sun but it seems content at its current location. 

Ao Kanzashi Leaves
 Here are pictures from previous years showing its growth(I just noticed that it grew substantially between 2009 and 2011; requires 2-3 years in ground for growth):

Ao Kanzashi (Summer 2007)


Ao Kanzashi (Spring 2008)

Ao Kanzashi (Spring 2009)


Ao Kanzashi (Summer 2010)

Ao Kanzashi (Summer 2011)

No comments:

Post a Comment